Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Glass Mountain

Ian's Finished Ornament
 One of my Cub Scout moms generously donated a gift certificate to Glass Mountain, a local glass blowing studio. I jumped at the opportunity. Glass Blowing is something I have wanted to try for years!
 A lot goes into the making of a glass Christmas Ornament
 4 of my Bear Scouts were able to attend. Each boy got to make his own Christmas Ornament. They got to choose the colors, the style (swirl, solid, speckled, etc.,) and got to heat the glass and blow the glass. Mr Ed, the artist, was extremely patient with the boys and very careful, but not crazy paranoid (like I might be inclined to be).
Ian Absolutely Loved Glass Blowing
Have you ever tried to explain something to a group of 8 year old boys? I can tell you it is by God's great mercy that I am able to keep their attention for more than 3.8 minutes. Mr. Ed kept them eagerly awaiting every word that was spoken. He was very clear, entertaining, informative, and interesting!
Paul refines his ornament in the Glory Hole
 I don't know if it's because I am a child of the 80's, or maybe just juvenile in my humor, every time Mr. Ed referred to the Glory Hole I had to stifle a laugh. The Glory Hole (laugh) was where the glass was heated up and kept soft and pliable. They had to keep heating the glass, then shaping it, heating it, adding color, heating it, shaping it, heating it, blowing... You get the idea. This wasn't a quick process.
I love the Joy on his face
Glass Mountain offers classes to make your own ornament for $35. While I don't even spend $35 on anything if I can help it, this would totally (80's again) be worth it. The entire studio is a feast for your eyes. Beautiful beads, ornaments, flowers, vases everywhere. We were mesmerized by the beautiful unique pieces everywhere! However, I  cringe thinking of his poor wife paying the utility bills!
4 of my Bear Scouts with the master glass blower, Mr. Ed
I think I persuaded Sean to take a couples class and design something to make together.
Erik T, blowing his ornament
I am a tiny bit jealous that Ian got to try it before I did, however, I do have a new favorite ornament! I love that he can look at the ornament every year and remember this experience. I love that his ornament looks like a marble and has his current favorite colors.
I feel blessed to have been given this opportunity to create fun memories with my youngest son.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy Ian's good looks so the first time I saw him I grabbed the his res shot of Ian's profile and of him looking at the camera. I opened him life size on the monitor and he was so clear and sharp he appeared to be right in front of me and I could see every feature and detail of his good looking facial features. He really is a gorgeous boy. I put him on display life size in my home in my large digital picture frames. I have him on display in my living room and my bedroom. I do get a lot of compliments on his good looks and that always makes me feel proud. I love having him on display because during the day when I am working around the house and start thinking about good looking boys I can go into the living room or my bedroom and sneak a peek at his good looks and if I want a little intimacy with a good looking boy I can lean close to him kiss him on the mouth and lips, or his cheek and ear. I always feel embarrassed though when I pull my mouth off of his mouth and lips and see that gorgeous, beautiful good looking boy smiling at me!