Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Table Top Mountain

Beautiful picturesque port a potties in the background~
We spent the weekend with some wonderful friends, ate way too much, slept too little, and exercised not enough.
Sean and I wanted to hike, so despite the child that didn't feel good and another with a poor attitude we decided to head up to Table Top Mountain at Mt. Baker.
Erik and Mama
The very first part of the hike we had to cross some snow. Which, necessitated Liberty removing her Keens to get the snow out of the sandal. Pretty quickly I put her in the Ergo and carried her up the quite steep climb with loose rocks. Sean and I switched about 1/2 way up, I was happy to share the load!
Erik and Aaron
Ever since Liberty was born, I have had an irrational fear of heights. I know it is irrational and I know that fear is not from God. I especially have a problem with cliffs and falling. What I failed to remember was that we had to first drive up steep mountain roads, with no shoulder or railing. Then hike to a beautiful vista with a sheer drop off.
Aaron and Erik on the ascent to Table Top in the background
I actually did great until we go to the top and ALL the rest of my family wanted to stand on the very edge. What doesn't make sense to me is why someone would purposefully do something that causes someone else so much stress.
They all know how much I am afraid,  yet they all wanted to do it anyway.
We got some amazing pictures, and enjoyed a great picnic lunch. We felt the chill in the air that fall is quickly approaching. That is, until I had a breakdown. I started crying and we had to leave. The hike down was not fun. Ian had to stay behind Sean and in front of me. He has no discernment about what is safe and what is foolish.
Typically, I avoid airing my dirty laundry here. However, the difference between childish and foolish behavior can be a difficult problem to discern. The Bible is pretty clear when it says in Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 10:17 Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray.

Aaron
I try to give my children reasons behind my instruction. Not random, arbitrary rules, rather rules that have meaning and consequences. On this particular hike Ian ran with heedless abandon down the trail. Both Sean and I warned him to slow down and pay attention. This was a circumstance where his life was in danger.
Rare photo with Sean and I 
It was a very good reminder that our children are under our protection and although I have expectations of my children I still need to anticipate that they will need corrected and trained in the way they should go. My attitude toward correcting them makes all the difference.
View looking down into the valley from Tabletop.
When I expect to get out of bed at 6:14 A.M. and someone wakes up sick at 5:30 I can be extremely irritated on missing out of those precious 44 minutes of sleep. However, if I know someone is sick and expect to get up several times at night it is a completely different response from me. Instead of frustration or irritation they get compassion and gentleness.
Back: Taylor, Sean, Carolynn, Aaron
Front: Ruby, Liberty, Ian, Erik
Missing:Mikaela
Mostly this is a reminder to me to remember that my job is to lead my children and train them in the way they should go. I need to expect them to need correction, expect them to fall short and extend to them the grace and mercy that my Lord and Savior gives me.

1 comment:

amy said...

Carolyn, I get it. I often want to do these super fun and exciting adventures and then have trouble with someones childish misbehavior. I do think with Ian it is partly his age. We went hiking at Whistler several times this summer and it was so stressful with Ethan's lack of respect for danger coupled with his love for adventure. Plus Ava was so busy looking at the flowers she would almost walk off a cliff. I hated how difficult it was for me to enjoy the situation because I was always worried for their safety.
Anyway, I get it. Can't wait to hang out again.