Thursday, August 30, 2012

Welcome Audrey Isabella

I am not sure why I continue to be amazed by God's provision and faithfulness. Audrey was not due until August 9, but she is a third baby, only a year behind her closest sibling and her mama was showing signs that she would probably deliver early. 
My family had an All Church Camp-Out planned for the first weekend in August and I was pretty sure that the baby would make her entrance as well. 
This would not have created any type of problem except that I had zip, zero, zilch in the way of cell reception at Silver Lake Campground. It is not acceptable for a Doula to be out of contact with her client and totally not fair to the children to cancel the trip for something that might or might not happen. So I prayed. I prayed for an answer to the quandary I found myself in and God once again proved Himself faithful.
Audrey Isabella and Me
I decided to go ahead and go to the campground and check in with my client throughout the day then return home in the evening, so that I would be available by phone. This also allowed me to care for our animals and, even better, get a wonderfully refreshing shower.
It was a lot of extra miles on the car but was the best solution. I didn't mind having the house to myself, sleeping in a nice bed, and using a flush toilet.
We were in contact throughout the day on Friday and Saturday (I had to ask for help using the pay phone, did you know it costs .50 to make a local call!?) Sean checked in via cell when he was out on a bike ride and they were able to leave a message for me at the ranger station if needed.
Saturday was one of the hottest days of the year so far and when I got up Sunday morning the animals did not look good. In fact, I was pretty sure the rabbit Taylor was planning on taking to the fair had heat stroke and was not far from death. I made a frantic phone call to Taylor's rabbit supervisor and performed bunny First Aid. It consisted of giving the bunny fresh veggies, lettuce, and carrots w/tops and a frozen water bottle. That and another prayer of protection. It would be devastating to have worked so hard then have your animal die a week before the fair.
I was not feeling great about leaving phone service so I again prayed that God would make it blatantly obvious weather I should go back to the campground or stay put. I specifically prayed that I would know by 8:30, when I planned to leave. At 8:30 exactly my client called and told me that her water had broke and that her contractions had not started yet. She said she would let me know when she was ready for me.
I knew that was exactly what I was looking for and said a prayer of Thanksgiving. I wasn't sure how long I had so I enjoyed the time at home alone (this was the first time ever!) I read the Sunday paper, drank some coffee, made an amazing omelet. I was starting to get antsy when I got a call from my client's husband. He was on his way to the store and thought I should call. I called at 10:15 and her mom answered the phone. She said, "We think you should come, NOW!"
I arrived at their house at 10:35 and found them trying to fill the birth tub and her on a birth ball having some very intense contractions. I moved into place giving her some massage. We prayed together and I attempted to connect the hose to fill the tub but was very much needed for other things. She was fighting her contractions and I talked her into working with her body, trusting herself, and remaining calm. It was apparent things were happening much faster than she expected and we made a few phone calls to her husband to hurry home. She got off the birth ball and leaned back into me. I was holding her shoulders and she looked at me with a small tear coming down her cheek. She said, "I really wanted a water birth." It broke my heart. I wished I could fill the tub faster, and make her husband home sooner. I encouraged her to work with her body and trust God.
I was against a dresser with a very sharp corner digging into my arm and fully supporting her. I was not in a position to catch and yet I knew she needed me right where I was. She said she felt like pushing and then the midwife walked in, set her bag down and assessed the situation. Mama gave a small push and the baby crowned. After the second push Audrey was born at 11:19! She was a small baby only 19" long and 5 lbs. 12 oz. Such a sweet little peanut. Daddy got home at 11:23 and cut the cord and gave mama and baby love, support and kisses.
This was my first home birth to attend and it was amazing! I loved watching the mom trust herself and get into the position she liked the best. I loved that big brothers were right there to welcome their new baby sister and grandma was supportive, encouraging and available.
After all the weights, measures, charting, nursing, photos, cleanup, laundry, and prayers, mama and baby settled down for a nap and dad was ready to celebrate! We had pizza, coffee, cinnamon rolls, fresh fruit, veggies, and so much more I might have gained what the baby weighed! We talked and prayed more and had a birthday party.
I am once again humbled by God's very clear answer to my prayers. A reminder that He does care, He cares about timing, and about bringing delight to His children. 

No comments: