Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Proficiency

Proficiency is something that I am striving to teach my children. Proficiency in school, the kitchen, in all areas, especially critical thinking. Basically, the need to think critically about what you are doing and why you are doing it. 
Aaron is very motivated to learn how to make homemade Cinnamon Rolls
 When I was in college I got a job at a cannery that I really did not want. I applied for another job doing maintenance. The thing is I really didn't have the skills for the job, but I knew I knew how to think. I got the job and didn't even have to do one day at the cannery! Often during that job I would be asked to perform a skill I had absolutely no idea how to do! I began by praying, then thinking. I always came back with the correct tools and got the job done, not only right, but well!

Don't let the somber expression fool you. He was grinning ear to ear at his accomplishment! 
I tell this story not to tell you how great I am (we all know that's far from the truth). I tell you because the skills I learned there have served me well. If I had not had the confidence to try, I would never have met Sean, had the children we have, and learned a whole lot of useful skills (how to tile, drive a backhoe, use a skill saw, build tables, repair plumbing, roof a building).
Teaching my children to have the confidence to make mistakes has been one of the most difficult things I have ever done! It requires an immense amount of patience. I  like to "git er' done" waiting for them to  tediously read and prepare a recipe is a mild form of torture.
I am beginning to see the fruits of teaching my children these skills.

Clone of a Cinnabon
Dough:
1 Cup Warm Milk
2 room temperature Eggs
1/3 Cup Butter, softened
4 1/2 Cups Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast
Sugar Mixture:
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
Frosting:
8 oz Cream Cheese
1/4 Cup Butter
1 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
Combine Dough ingredients,let rest for 10 minutes then roll out into a 11 X 17 rectangle. spread softened butter all over the dough and fill with the sugar mixture. Then roll and cut into 2" pieces. Place the pieces into a greased 9X13. I leave it overnight to rise. you can put it in a warm spot to rise more quickly.
Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes, until the rolls are golden. Then cover with frosting and enjoy!

No comments: