Sunday, February 16, 2014

Seventeen Years

 Last weekend Sean and I went away for 4 whole days to celebrate 17 years of marriage. Much thanks to my momm for watching the children so we could get away.

View from our room
 We never really 'dated' in fact, he asked me to marry him on our first date. We spent time together getting to know each other. Mostly at work and Bible Study. When we were engaged we lived 300 miles apart so this kept things pretty simple as far as how we expressed our love and commitment.
I was actually able to zip up Sean's coat.
However, he had to strap on my snowshoes for me. 
 This simplicity hasn't changed much over the past 17 years. I would say that in most things I am pretty low maintenance, while others I imagine that high maintenance would be a more accurate description. I knew that I really wanted to go away for our anniversary so I planned a little get away to Lake Chelan. I knew that we couldn't do anything too strenuous or thrilling, being 7 months pregnant and all.
Another photo to add to our collection of foot photos. 
 I planned for us to go Snowmobiling and Snowshoeing. However, when we got to Lake Chelan there was very little snow around. When I called to reserve the snowmobiles the man said that he hadn't rented them out at all this year.
We persevered and found enough snow to go snowshoeing. We did a 5K trail, and took it slower than I cared to admit. It was great to get out and be together in the fresh air and sunshine. It was fun to talk about the baby (names), plans for our future, where we have come from and where we want to go.
Gotta love that smile. 
 I especially loved not having to plan meals, or feed anyone else. We took advantage of the complimentary breakfast and hot soup, sandwiches and bread for dinner. The lady that served dinner was gracious and gave us the fresh hot cookies and ice cold milk. Although milk was not out for everyone, she had pity on me.
There was a Keurig in the room and about 18 pillows on the bed ~ Heaven for this pregnant mama.
Pregnancy cravings
 Sean was very accommodating with my choice of snacks.
We explored the local book stores, thrift stores, and restaurants for lunch. We slept in, watched a movie, a beautiful sunset over the lake, tried out the hot tub, and had time to rest, reconnect and feel amazingly refreshed.
Smooching
  On our snowshoeing adventure we came across 8 deer in a ravine just below us. They stopped and stared at us for the longest time.
Better Together 
The last 17 years have been a crazy ride. Some really difficult and more wonderful. Growing in our walk with God and each other. We are learning to be focused less on ourselves and more on each other.  I could not have asked for a better man to do life with. Looking forward to what's to come.

No comments: