Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Camping 101

Work like crazy to get your house ready to sell, sleep 3 hours then leave on your first camping trip with your ' new' trailer.
I have to say that I love camping with a trailer but still think we need a tent for some of the bigger kids. This trailer sleeps 7 with the tiny porta crib on the toilet/shower space. By nature I am a big picture girl, and Sean takes care of the details. Sean took care of the house details before we left, not the camping details. We were lacking on some items that would have been convenient to have for camping, like a spatula, never fear the MacGyver in my husband took over and he covered the fly swatter with foil and was able to flip hamburgers and pancakes alike! He did have to abandon it after it melted and used the pizza cutter to finish the job.
We were gone 9 days and had 5 trips to the laundry mat with 2 others that were needed but ignored. We had at least 6 bed wetting experiences, 5 vomiting in their sleep, 2 nights of someone actually falling through the tent trailer cover and sleeping outside the trailer until morning.
We saw big waves, fed the seals, took a tour of Tillamook Cheese Factory, ate lots of s'mores, saw many different laundry mats, watched America's Funniest Home Videos at the Laundry mat, rode horses, went swimming, body surfed, skim boarded, visited cousins, drove 1,200 miles, and made many fond family memories.

I will post some pictures when I find the cord to upload photos to my computer but for now I will leave you with a recap of our vacation:

Think 12 Days of Christmas:
"9 Days of Camping"
On the First Day of Camping my children said to me, "Are we there yet?"
On the Second Day of Camping my children said to me, " Can we go swimming yet?'
On the Third Day of Camping my children said to me, " I hafta go potty!"
On the Fourth Day of Camping my children said to me, "He's aboutta puke!"
On the Fifth Day of Camping my children said to me, "Aaaa-nother laundry mat"
On the Sixth Day of Camping my children said to me, "Is there anything else we can eat?"
On the Seventh Day of Camping my children said to me, "I LOVE the waves!"
On the Eighth Day of Camping my children said to me, "Can we do this again next year?"
On the Ninth Day of Camping my children said to me, "Are we home yet?"

3 comments:

amy said...

Wow! Sounds like quite a trip! I want to get a tent trailer too, it seems like a good way to go with young kids. Did you find it on craigs list?

Did you get any bites on your house while you were gone? That is what I was hoping for.

Anonymous said...

Laundramat. Just so ya know.

Unknown said...

Amy, We got 3 nibbles but no sale yet. Soon, I hope. We bought the trailer from a friend and it is a little small for our large families, I think a tent for the boys or big kids, might be a good way to go. We haven't given up yet. Shelly LOVES hers, hers is also a bit bigger than ours. I guess it is a learning process.
Anon, Thanks I will keep that in mind.