Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fair Preparations

Does it get much better than this?
A boy in his barn boots, shorts, no shirt leading his cow around the farm. I think I'm in love.
 As I reflect how much my life has changed in the past 12 months I am amazed. I never knew how much I didn't know.
 We recently joined Country Partners 4H Club and entered a slew of projects in the fair. The biggest project being Erik's Dairy Calf, Jewel. I feel like some of this is an exercise in futility. Did you know that a Holstein has to be white on the white spots? Not, yellow or a bit dirty, but actually white! We have tried bluing, bleaching and just plain old scrubbing. She still has dirty knees. Kinda reminds me of that childhood chant...Never Mind. Good thing I have showed restraint and not taught my children that one.
Just to add to our learning curve Jewel got ringworm. We are now bathing her every day with special medication, then we curry brush the ringworm spots and paint on some used crankshaft oil.
We have 5 of the children registered for the fair. Everything from, Lego creations,  to wooden models, cookies, cakes, pies, cow, rabbits, meat rabbits, charcoal drawings, sewing projects, stitchery, watercolors, horticulture, childcare, and 4H in Action.
We have 6 hours of barn duty daily, dig outs at 4:45 A.M! Potluck dinners, showing, and auctions. Right now I think that ignorance is bliss, I really don't know what I am in for  2 weeks from now. My prayer is that we will have a fabulous learning experience and that our attitudes and actions will glorify God.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Oh, that sounds FUN! What a beautiful calf! I'm so excited for you guys to experience all of that. :) Can't wait to hear more about it.