Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pizza and Movie Night

We used to do Pizza and movie night every week. it was a tradition that my children really looked forward to. However, as the children have grown, I found that I had to make so many pizzas, it was too much for me for awhile. I recently found another pizza crust recipe that we like and is SO.MUCH.SIMPLER to make that we re-instituted pizza and movie night. 
I like it because we eat the pizza while we watch the movie and then bedtime is just that much earlier, and there is not very much kitchen clean up. I have also learned to stop the movie with about 10 minutes left and make sure that everyone is completely ready for bed (PJ's, teeth brushed, gone to the bathroom) so that when the movie is over they can go to bed. 

When did we get to the place of one pizza per person? 

I have 2 children that are gluten free and one of those is dairy free as well so I have begun to purchase their crusts and freeze them to have on hand.

My Favorite Pizza Crust Recipe (more difficult)
Mix:
1/3 Cup Shortening
1 Cup Milk
1 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
Heat in a small pan on the stove until shortening is melted.
Add 1 beaten egg to the warm mixture and refrigerate until cool.
Meanwhile, mix
1 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 Cup warm water and let yeast rise
Add to the cooled shortening mixture and add 5-6 cups of flour, knead well. Roll out on greased pizza stone and let rise.
Bake at 350 until slightly brown then add toppings and bake until the cheese is melted.

Good Pizza Crust (super easy)
I tend to prefer thick crust pizza, however this crust, in my opinion, is much better rolled thin.
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp yeast
4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, mix flour and salt together.  Add the flour mixture to the yeast and slowly add the oil. Let rise, punch down and divide and roll out on a greased pizza stone. Add toppings and Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes.

Both recipes make 2 crusts. I typically triple them, then add the 2 gluten free crusts. Often,  I let each person top their own pizza, then they can eat as much as they want, and have the rest for lunch the next day. I usually feel bad because the gluten free-ers never have left overs and Aaron won't have any the next day while the girls and I have our lunches covered.

No comments: