Monday, December 6, 2010

Candle Making

Taylor recently joined Girls' Club. It is the answer to our prayers for friends for Taylor who share similar interests and values. We were especially excited when we learned  that they were using the Keepers at Home books for their projects and Bible Studies! We have used these in the past and Love them, it just isn't as much fun without someone to work on a project with.

I volunteered to teach the girls candle making. It has been several years (read: I had to dust off the wax and rid the box of spiders) since I have made candles. I decided to brush up on my skills and watched this wonderful video on different candle making techniques.
We have learned (the hard way) that in order to successfully teach a craft you should have at least attempted it once before. We made these candles at home with just the supplies I had on hand. The ones we made at Girls' Club were beautiful! We made light blue candles and red candles with pressed flowers.

My boys wanted to make candles as much as the girls did. I do see the allure of hot was and a delicious vanilla-cinnamon smell. This was one of those times where I really wanted to get the project done without all the 'little distractions' that slow things down. I had to stop and remind myself that it is an honor to have my children want to be with me, that we enjoy each other and most importantly we are learning together. Had I been in such a hurry I would have missed seeing the delight in their eyes, hearing their cheerful chatter, and spending time together. Remember to slow down and enjoy those who bring you the most joy.

No comments: