Thursday, May 9, 2013

Open House

I'm sitting here at my dining room table looking longingly at the beautiful sunshine outside. The weeding is calling my name, I want to finish planting the garden, move the chicken fence, do some meal planning and teach my 4 year old to ride her bike without training wheels (she has been begging for weeks!)
I found Liberty at the table sound asleep

Instead, I can literally watch the hummingbird feeder being emptied by all the beautiful birds visiting it while I struggle to teach my children their math facts. I wonder why watching the birds eat is so amazing yet, feeding, teaching and tending to my own children can feel like such a burden. Planning, shopping, preparing, and cleaning up from the meals sometimes makes me weary.
Sometimes the girls take so long eating that they are left alone at the table to finish.
Everyone else was outside and Liberty took advantage of the quiet.
I love to be outside enjoying the beauty of God's creation. I know that I have the amazing responsibility and privilege of teaching my children. I know that the choices Sean and I have made regarding the education and character training are the right ones. I know that God has promised to equip me, He has given me scripture to help me with the choices we face. I have been diligently praying that we would do all of our work for God's glory.
Remembering that I set the tone for my family. Knowing that if I expect my children to show compassion I must model that. Being reminded on a daily basis that the sin I see in their lives is really a reflection of the sin I struggle with most in my life. My selfish nature, my desire for things to go my way, my inability to stay on task or ease of being distracted are the things that make anger rare it's ugly head when I see them in my children.
I see so much struggle and hardship in relation to not submitting to God's will. Please join me in praying for us, as mothers, to stay strong, keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, stay the course and set a beautiful melodious tone for our families.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

What a beautiful post, Carolynn!

This part? "My selfish nature, my desire for things to go my way, my in ability to stay on task or ease of being distracted are the things that make anger rear it's ugly head when I see them in my children."

Oh, how I could have written that. That is TOTALLY me.

I am so thankful that Jesus stands perfectly before us and we are CLEAN.

Praying!

Unknown said...

Stacy, thank you so much for your words. You bless me more than you could ever know. I appreciate your honesty and desire to be a child of God.