Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Broken Bones

We went to our Keepers meeting yesterday and it was all going well. The girls worked on their writing and the boys worked on your badminton belt loop for boy scouts. After the meeting was over we were all hanging out and eating lunch before the Tiger Cubs had a field trip to the Fire Station. Ian rode Mordecai's bike down the wet grassy hill and around the corner. He wiped out on the grass and planted his leg to catch himself. I heard him crying and ran around back and got him. He was holding his leg at an odd angle and would not use it. I kinda thought he was exaggerating and that if it was still hurting after the Fire Station I would take him in. Both Chuck and Renee said, "no you need to take him in now." I figured that they had much more experience in this matter than me and that they don't take their kids in over nothing, just subcutaneous tissue. So I called Sean he met me at the ER and took Everett, Savannah, Taylor, Aaron, and Erik to the Fire Station. Ian and I spent the next 6 hours in the ER.
Of course, they always ask questions when you get to the ER. Here is the how the interview went:
Nurse: Is Ian up to date on his immunizations?
Me: No
Nurse: Was Ian wearing a helmet?
Me: No
Nurse: Is he in school?
Me: (he's only 4) No, I home school
Nurse: I see he is going to have a baby brother or sister soon, is this number 2?
Me: No, it's number 7

Needless to say I was not feeling very competent by this time.





They ended up splinting it so the swelling could go down. Taylor has been doing a great job helping out with Ian and coloring and playing games with him.


He's a brave little guy and the first of the boys to break a bone. The trouble is that they told me he is too young for crutches so at 6 months pregnant I will have to carry him for the next 4 to 6 weeks while his leg heals. He is to have absolutely no weight bearing on it. Hmmmm, should be interesting.


2 comments:

Alliwoo said...

Never a dull moment Carolynn...NEVER!

Debbie said...

Hi Carolynn!
I'm a new reader. Sorry about your little guy. I had never heard that you can be too young for crutches. Maybe one of his older sibs could give him piggy backs!

Hope you heals quickly.