Sunday, June 13, 2010

Completing Him

As part of the Completing Him Challenge I am going to tell you about our early relationship days.
My husband and I met during the summer between our Junior and Senior year at college. We both worked at Sudden Valley in the Maintenance Department. I started working there a few weeks before he did and as first impressions go I thought he was pretty uptight and not very friendly.
He turned out to be a really fun person to work with and talk to, he was extremely patient and when he discovered that I really did not know what I was doing he never told on me, just helped me out when ever possible.
I discovered that he lived a couple of blocks from Mikaela's day care so in the interest of saving money on gas we carpooled. I was in no way looking for a relationship, I was interested in working, being a mom, and very involved with my Bible Study group. Besides, Sean was involved in a serious relationship with a very nice girl.
We used to stop on our way home from work and play on a rope swing that dropped into Lake Whatcom. It was so cool and refreshing after a long hard sweaty day of work.
Summer ended and we each went back to school and our daily routine. At some point during that year Sean joined our Bible Study and we had fun and did a lot of group activities. I was still oblivious and not interested. School ended and we both started up at work again. He told me that he broke up with his fiance because he knew he could not be with some one when she was not the most important person in his life. He told me that he really liked me, admired me, and respected me. He told me that I was exactly the kind of person he had prayed for, me? I was divorced, a single mom, I had baggage! How could I be the kind of person he was looking for?
I was not interested in getting burned, I had been hurt too deeply. We still did not date, we did not spend time all alone. We spent most of our time with our Bible Study group. We wrote each other notes and left them for each other to find, we used to play a game where we would say it was the perfect day for... It was a great for figuring out what was important to each other and where our priorities were.
Our whole Bible study group went to the Lynden Fair but we all drove separate. Sean and I rode together with Mikaela. On the way home Mikaela fell asleep and it was quiet, it really felt like we belonged together.
Sean ended up leaving to compete Nationally for Crew. He was gone. I was sad. One day he showed up, told me he knew he should not continue down the path he was pursuing but rather pursue Christ, then me. I was hooked!


We still had not had an official date. We wanted to stay pure and we knew that would be difficult if we let the opportunity present itself. After graduation Sean moved to Seattle and I stayed in Bellingham. We had a lot of letter writing and phone calls. In January Sean took me on a date, and he proposed! Our first real date and a proposal all in one.
I will continue the story later, if I try now, I will never get the post done. What is your dating story? and What can you do to show your husband that he still matters as much as when your relationship began?


4 comments:

Nicole said...

It's strange to look at that without seven little faces around you! But, as they say, the rest was history! It was neat to read and I'm looking forward to reading more.

Stacy said...

Wow. I loved reading this, Carolynn! :) What a great part of your story!

Jess said...

I feel like I know you really well...but I didn't know much of this. Thanks for sharing! Love you!

amy said...

I too loved reading this story! I love the plan God had for your family, your marriage, you! --that He set in motion right from the beginning. Love it.