Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Be Prepared to Follow Through

Today I was out with my wonderful friend Tami and she noticed that Erik's car seat was not fitted to him properly. She tried to tell him how to have a correct fit, but Erik was not going to listen to her. We work very hard getting our children to respect authority and have good manners and he was definitely not doing either. Well I was already tired, we had gone to MOPS, I had a doctor appointment, and had gone to Cash and Carry. I flippantly told him he could either put on the seat belt how Mrs. Simpson told him to, or we could go to the police station and have them tell him how to wear it. He opted for the latter. Off we went to the police station. Ironically, there were no police at the police station and they had to call dispatch to have an officer come and meet us there. 45 agonizing minutes later the officer showed up and was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of children in my van, I only had 4 of mine and 2 of Tami's. I assured him that he only needed to talk to one of the children.
After much debate with the officer (which really surprised me since Erik did not seem to mind challenging him), Erik finally relented and is now properly restrained in his car seat. WHEW!!
The officer gave Erik a temporary tattoo as a reward.

The above photos are of Erik working on one of his Tiger Scout requirements of sewing on a button. It was a bonus for me since Sean had asked me to sew the button on a few months ago and the shirt has been hanging in my closet since then, a great way to kill two birds with one stone.


1 comment:

Tammy (Mom to this crazy bunch) said...

I am so glad to find out that we are not the only family who brings our kids to the police station during that oh so important stage in life... when they challenge us bigtime! I giggled at the memory of taking my, now 19 year old, to the police station about ten years ago. She received a stearn talking to and brings this important lesson up often...even now!