Wednesday, October 7, 2009

All In The Name Of Science

Yesterday we headed down to Birch Bay, not our usual beach but one of our favorites. We were on a hunt to collect seaweed to identify and press. One of the things I really enjoy about my children is the ability to call things what they are, we do not call all vehicles cars, nor all flying animals birds. When we saw this beautiful grey heron they were able to identify it. We recently saw a white heron and it was a treat for all of us. They are able to identify raptors as well.

The children even identified this vehicle as not being native to Birch Bay but from Cars. Ian was really excited by Taylor's find and has since added 'Sarge' to his collection of Cars cars.
We found the last high tide line and discovered the difference between the tides based on the differences of the seaweed. We did not have much time at the beach between Libby's nap and friends coming over for lunch. We did however, find several different types of seaweed.

I was beginning to doubt myself and the ability to continue this Marine Biology study when Taylor said to me, "mama, I really like this Marine Biology and I am learning a lot."
I struggle continually with comparing myself to others and I know that is not from God. We are doing what we can and are learning and having fun and most importantly building relationships.


I have been desperately wanting to clean my front porch. It is the perfect place for spiders, and bugs to congregate. Because it is a perfect breeding ground for insects it also makes it the best hunting spot for food for our numerous frogs and our newest addition, Peter the snake. Taylor found this snake at Bakers Dozen and brought it home, she thinks it is cute. I am just not too certain about her choice of names for her animals (Big Ball the Hermit Crab and Peter the Snake). Ahhh, the innocence of youth.

6 comments:

Renee from A Baker's Dozen said...

Taylor is killing me with her names!!!

Renee

Theresa said...

Please, please, please do not feel like you have to do every single thing on the website if is too much for you. Feel free to tailor the requirements to your family and just do what you can. My suggestion is that if you need to drop something, let it be some of the bookwork or website work, not the hands-on part. I think the hands-on component is by far the more valuable stuff. And hey, even if you only identify a couple of seaweeds, that's two more than you knew before, right?
Keep up the good work.

Syndi said...

Did I tell you that Aaron was floating along the kiddie pool at Great Wolf Lodge with his mouth open? He said "I'm eating plankton." I responded with "I wonder how many babies have peed in there...", but he was not deterred. He just smiled and continued "collecting plankton".

You are doing a great job with this study!! Can't wait to go catch some real plankton with you guys.

Unknown said...

Renee, the names are killing me too, I just marvel at the innocence.
Theresa, thank you so much for the 'permission' to cut back. I keep reminding myself that my children are younger and they are loving it! That is what I really want too, for them to love the learning. We really want to try the seaweed pudding, it sounds interesting.
Syndi, The plankton cracks me up, GROSS.

Sweetness and Light said...

What a great, you guys look like you're really having fun with this, so glad you're along with all of us!!

Many blessings (from a fellow WA stater :)

Sweetness and Light said...

Well, that las comment was supposed to say "what a great day". Cheers!