Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

5 years ago began a wonderful tradition of celebrating my mom with her closest friends. I am honored to be included among these beautiful women. Kelly is the best hostess. She always has a theme and everything is centered around that. I never knew that dandelions could be beautiful, but Kelly makes them beautiful.

Not only does she have the knack for decorating but her culinary skills are amazing! We had turkey rice soup, cantaloupe, strawberries, and chicken salad. She also had these cute little veggie cups! Notice the flower salt and pepper shakers too! each place setting had it's own little set.
Among the group several have special dietary needs and Kelly always takes those into consideration and provides foods that everyone can eat!



Of course food is a central part of the day, however the main focus it to celebrate who my mom is. This year she gave each and every one of us a special blessing by telling us how we are a blessing to her. We also shared our triumphs and struggles in this past year.


We celebrated Sarah's birthday on Saturday, then Sean took the children home and Taylor and I stayed. We enjoyed a pedicure, and shopping, then stayed up way too late talking. Sunday morning we went to church and out to an amazing breakfast. Taylor and Kimberly went to my God-mother's and got a taste of Greenlake and mom and I went to Kelly's! After the party we all went to see Weston Fields (a classmate of my mom's) speak about his work on the Dead Sea Scrolls. It was amazing.

Naturally no get together with 8 women (2 of the original 10 were not able to make it this year~we missed you terribly Hazel and Celinda) is complete without chocolate. I enjoy baking and trying new recipes. This year's Chocolate Molten Cake is probably one of the easiest (don't tell) and was among the top favorites!
Chocolate Molten Cake
10 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate
1/2 Cup Butter
Melt together in a double boiler and cool slightly
whisk:
6 egg yolks
6 whole eggs
3 cups powdered sugar
whisk into chocolate mixture then add:
1 Cup flour
Grease Ramekins really well and bake at 450 For 6-8 minutes
Turn onto a dessert plate and garnish with vanilla whip cream and chocolate shavings
When you take a bite of the cake the center will flow out like molten lava, hence the name.
The key to a great tasting cake is the quality of the chocolate, I used 70% bittersweet chocolate found at Chocolate Necessities, it is $9 a pound and worth every penny!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that in my friendship with your Mom I got you as a bonus! We have are own friendship now and I enjoy every minute we spend gabbing, laughing and sharing chocolate. Love, Love, Love checking your blog daily!