Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Nature Studies

The Bible tells us to teach our children when we get up, walk along the way and lay down at night. I have found that I have to be intentional with my teaching. A lot of teaching happens by 'accident' but most of it happens when I think about it and plan. I inter-library loaned a great book called "The Handbook of Nature Study" by Comstock. When I noticed the poppies blooming in my front yard I pulled out the book and we read all about poppies.


Then we cut open a poppie and looked at the seed pot. We counted and observed.



Finally, we drew the poppies and are going to put the drawings and observations in our Nature Journal. Taylor loved the exercise and Ian was very through. Erik got it done quick but did participate. Aaron missed out because he is at golf camp.












No comments: