Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Merry Christmas

Christmas Traditions are so much fun and leave so much to be anticipated from year to year. This year however, traditions, went out the door. This year we had our first ever fake tree and I loved it! For starters it was skinny, did not need watered, or lights put on it, we don't have to worry about recycling it and it cost less than a real one!

This year we did not attend Christmas Eve service at our church, instead we had our own service at home. Our service was complete with candle lighting, Christmas Carols, Advent reading, Bible reading and time together as a family. We did stick to our tradition of Tacos on Christmas Eve but alas, no ham was to be found on Christmas Day so we had beef barley soup. It was great because I was able to spend the day with the family instead of in the kitchen.
Mikaela and her boyfriend Duane came for the day and my mom made the trek north as well! I love having my house filled with family. The joy on the children's face is pleasant to watch. This year we had the children draw names and buy for their secret person. This was for several reasons, 1. I did not want lots of cheap toys 2. I wanted the children to have to spend their own hard earned money to buy a thoughtful gift for someone else and 3. they then had a bit more money to spend on each individual item.



I really try hard to keep the focus on Christ and His birth and what that means to us. This season we had a lot of gatherings with our friends, and frankly shopping is much harder than it used to be. I also made a conscience effort to limit my spending. As a result when I was wrapping gifts I realized I had very little for Ruby (like one small gift of dress up shoes from Goodwill). I remembered that I had saved a doll house from Taylor and Ruby had never played with it, I dug it out cleaned it up and wrapped it! It was a hit! I love that I was able to use something we already owned and it did not cost anything.



Mikaela showered the children with gifts! Ruby got beautiful earrings, a wand, dress up shoes, Pixo's, candy jewelery factory and a pink razor phone!
The most priceless quote of the day:
"Mom, it is a good thing we shop at Goodwill!"
"Why is that?"
"Because in the Bible it says: Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Although your usual Christmas traditions went out the door, it certainly seems like you were able to start some very nice new traditions. That's always fun too!

We've had a fake tree for a few years now... we want to make sure we get our money's worth out of it! Well, that and for all the other reasons you mentioned!

It looks like you had a beautiful Christmas with family... Hope you have a wonderful new year!