Monday, March 22, 2010

Permission

In all of my study and reading lately I keep coming up feeling completely inadequate. Try as I might if I get up early one, or two, or three children get up seconds after me. If I close my door, turn on a small light and try to quietly read, I am asleep in seconds.
I know to start my day with quiet time with my Savior would bless me and my family immensely!
Here is a quote from a book that I was reading last night, the title of the book is, Passionate Housewives Desperate for God by: Chancey and McDonald

Spending time with God and in His Word is crucial,
but don't set yourself up for disappointment by expecting a regular time
of peaceful bliss in prayer and quiet solitude.
...to beat ourselves up over our failure to create a worship time that resembles someone else's isn't necessary and can sometimes be detrimental.
It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He gives His beloved sleep. Psalm 127:2
I feel like I finally received some confirmation that though my quiet time is anything but quiet I am sharing what I am learning and modeling the importance of discipline in God's word to my children. I may not have 20 minutes of interrupted prayer but I have more than 20 minutes of prayer as I teach my children to pray about the things that are on our hearts.
A mighty example of this can be read about over at Hilary's blog. Ever since her children were taken away 6 months ago Erik has been praying for them to come back. Faithfully praying. Several times I almost told him that the children were not coming back, but I decided that if God put it on his heart who am I to dictate what he asks God for?
I guess what I am trying to say is that while I would love to have uninterrupted time in the Word every morning, my interruptions are a gift and a blessing from God. He know the desires of my heart.
I am not sure if playing hymns full blast in my 12 passenger van so I cannot hear the arguing behind me is the best idea. Again, God knows the desires of my heart.

1 comment:

jess o. said...

I remember when I first read those words in Passionate Housewives...its the only time I've heard anyone be real about it, especially for someone who homeschools and has many little lambs! It looks different in different seasons, for sure. The important thing is that you are doing it! :) Love ya!